Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Turtles

Each spring around this time a large snapping turtle lays her eggs in our driveway. This year I was lucky enough to see the pair mating just off shore and I braved the bugs to snap a few pictures. Be sure to click the image to see the larger picture.

This is what I came upon - it took me a minute to realize there was another turtle underneath her!









And 6 days later, here she is laying her eggs in my driveway.




Yes, I believe that is Newf fur stuck to her face, since she had to travel through our yard to get to her nesting spot. Ha, ha. Darn dog hair really does get everywhere!







4 comments:

Kimba-Slydog said...

Simply wow!

Great photographs.

Greetings from germany,

Nicole

Anonymous said...

that's way too cool.

dreameyce said...

I remember those! I grew up in rural SE Michigan, we saw these guys yearly. They aren't in Oregon though.

Jim Rodgers said...

Beautiful photos!